Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Back to Basics

Today I am filled with thoughts of "the good stuff". Barefoot summers, lightning bugs, watermelon, real cartoons, chocolate covered kids smiles, big homemade breakfasts, smurfs, strawberry shortcake dolls that didn't have long hair, babies breathing softly while they sleep on my shoulder, koolaid mustaches, the smell of my great grandmother's sweet shrub, pies baked for no occasion at all...I want to get all those things back so I'm making some changes. As a poor single mom for years, I struggled and felt guilty for the amount of time I had to work away from my children just to provide them with a home. Then, I met Daniel and I got a great and I mean great job and we could pretty much do what we wanted and buy what we wanted whenever we got the urge. I overcompensated for the years that we didn't have anything and while I had this great job, I spoiled my kids terribly. Now that I no longer have that job or the means to support that lifestyle anymore, I see the error of my ways. My kids are in for some shell shock as they say but it will be good for all of us. We are moving to a new house and starting over basically so I will use this transition as a time to reverse and undo any damage hopefully. They have always been involved in charity but they will now learn to share and work together in our own house. This is my new mission. It should be an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment